Steve and Mary are part of the family life team at St.Paul’s Hammersmith, running relationship courses at our church, St.Paul’s Hammersmith. We have worked on:
- The Marriage Preparation Course (at SPH and HTB)
- The Marriage Course (at SPH)
- Two Become Three (at SPH)
- The Parenting Children Course (at SPH)
Care For The Family has a Podcast you can follow.
Notes for helpers on the Marriage Preparation Course: Support Couples. Host Couples.
Also featured in th eBlog section, here are some great books we recommend to people on the marriage courses:
The Meaning of Marriage, Tim Keller, Hodder & Stoughton (2011)
This is a great book if you are Christians because it unpacks many important marriage principles using theology and the bible to give a faith-based and really inspiring view of how your marriage can be informed and empowered by common values and beliefs from the scripture.
Marriage Works, J.John, Authentic Lifestyle (2002)
In typical form for this entertaining evangelist, J.John erases the boundaries between Christian principles and entertainingly plain common sense. There is real wisdom here, and it’s easy to read, and it’s rich in practical advice for those thinking about marriage in the future.
This book is recommended if you are tired of being told the theoretical theology of how Adam & Eve and the Bible are the model of your marriage! Let’s get down to business of loving well! Gary spends a whole book explaining from real practical examples what love looks like as it includes everything from giving, trusting, forgiving, all the way to humility, honesty, and asks how to be properly motivated to properly love in marriage. A really fresh and surprisingly practical approach.
Here are the books that are recommended in the Guest Manual:
- The five love languages – Gary Chapman (Northfield 1995)
- The other side of handling anger in a godly way way – Gary Chapman (Moody 1999)
- Boundaries in Marriage – Cloud & Townsend (Zondervan 1999)
- Rules of Engagement – Richard & Katherine Hill (Lion Hudson 2009)
- look before you leap – J.John (Authentic Lifestyle 2004)
- The Marriage Book – Nicky & Sila Lee (Alpha International 2002)
- The Mystery of Marriage – Mike Mason (Triangle 1997)
- Loving Against the Odds – Rob Parsons Hodder & Stoughton 1994)
- Sixty Minute Marriage – Rob Parsons Hodder & Stoughton 1997